Sunday 8 March 2009

Noises From Above


I recently had a little chuckle when I read a comment that my blogging friend Jackie, otherwise known as Mother's Pride had left in my last post about happiness/contentment.
I had listed things that had hardly cost me anything money wise, that brought me contentment and she wrote "You could have put....... not hearing noises from above."
Well yes..... this would have given me immense pleasure, make me really happy even. Definitely happy. Not hearing noises from above.

Her remark brought to mind all sorts of things though.
"Have I got bats in my belfry?" Does she think I am hearing noises in my head?

"Have I got access to noises from God above my head?" Some people think that thunder is God moving his furniture around!
Well when God speaks to me it is in a gentle way through my thoughts, things I read, especially in the Bible and feelings ....... not by noises from above!

Jackie was of course referring to the rat noises in my kitchen roof, just above the ceiling.
Well, why have I got a squirrel picture on this post and not a rat? You might well ask. Have you ever tried to take a picture of a rat? I might be able to hear the wretched things but I cannot see them. Now that sounds like the bats in the belfry interpretation again!
Anyway, a squirrel is the best I can do for now. Some say they are as bad as rats anyway. If they were in my roof they would do just as much damage, so I have been told. The smells would be just the same, though squirrels do seem more respectable than rats, don't they?

I was not going to say anything until May Day! That seemed a perfect day to announce one way or another whether the underpinning has worked and whether we have still got rat problems or not.

I was too hasty when I wrote telling you about The Empty Silence some time ago and that didn't have a happy ending.
I will not tempt fate a second time by saying that nothing more has been heard. I think Cath was right when she said in a comment that she thought the rats read my blog and that they like to wind me up! All I know is that the one we heard that night, died! How do I know that? Don't even ask. All I am saying is that the incense sticks that we had left over from the last mass death above the ceiling, came in mighty handy.

Nothing more is being said on the subject then till May Day! Do you get that all you readers! I am NOT BOTHERED one way or the other!
The kitchen roof is coming off in the summer, ANYWAY!




30 comments:

Nessa said...

Reverse psychology at its finest.

the mother of this lot said...

Maggie, I think we all know you've got bats in your belfry....!

Just kidding!

Irene said...

I think it would be really nice if the roof came off and it turned out that they were squirrels anyway, even though they are vermin nowadays too.

VioletSky said...

Maybe the rats will now be insulted at being compared to the squirrels?

Akelamalu said...

Mmmmm squirrells do seem more acceptable than rats but they are rodents and do a lot of damage. That's my last word on the matter until May.

Anonymous said...

Not sure I could cope with rats or squirrels! Good luck for your May announcement!

larkswing said...

The squirrel is a much better picture than a rat anyway!! And don't go mentioning bats - those are boogers to deal with too! Had those last fall - stinky!!

Unknown said...

Oh my dear heavens! Rats? I would be in a state of perpetual fear! My Daddy loves squirrels. He puts corn on the grown in the fall so they will come to our yard! Can you believe that? The neighbors don't like him at all : ). They hate squirrels. Oh well. To each his own, right?

Suburbia said...

Maggie, am I being dense? What is special about the 1st May?? I think I have missed something?!(glad all is quiet for now though!)

Ash said...

Lovely!

Maggie May said...

SUBURBIA........... The reason we are waiting till May Day is to give us plenty of time to be really sure there is nothing there and that no rodents are making a new way in!
MAY DAY seems a good time to celebrate......... Nuts in MAY..... Maggie MAY!

Hilary said...

MAY you be free of pests long after May has come and gone.

OvaGirl said...

We have a rat in our compost heap. And I have lived in a house with a possum in the roof and it sounded like we were infested with elephants!

Suburbia said...

How silly of me!! I was thinking it was a 'magic all rat extermination day', or something!!!

Hee hee

Sx

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

Maggie, thank you for your sweet comments.Please pray for us, especially my daughter, Jolie.

Some people say that squirrels are rats with tails. I do think they are more respectable and that rats have a bad reputation. You have a set day now. Rats make me crazy so I can empathize with you. It's a test. It's only a test. I agree you are empowered and it will no longer bother you. Thank you for being there. luv ya, Trish

Anonymous said...

Aha, interesting post...

CJ xx

Mean Mom said...

I do hope that your rat problem disappears. It sounds like a nightmare. The method of getting rid of them is awful, too, I know, but there is no choice. You need a pied piper, or something!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

The voices, the voices! As long as you are just hearing sounds and not voices then you're okay!

Anonymous said...

More than likely to be a bird that got in and now can't get out. Creepy though.

aims said...

*whispering*

I've got everything crossed for you my friend!

Expat mum said...

I'm here to tell you that squirrels are worse than rats regarding the damage they can do. We have a flat roof with garden furniture on it (very common here). I forgot to pack up ONE chair cushion, which was weatherproof anyway. Went up yesterday to see what was what now that the snow has melted, and the bloody squirrels have ripped it to shreds.
Where's that pea-shooter.

cheshire wife said...

Hope you have given the rats notice that they are going to lose the roof over their heads.

Anonymous said...

Poor you. I was hoping your rats turned out to be squirrels. They are much more attractive than the visitors you have.

Wendy said...

I also was hoping your rats turned out to be squirrels. Although we have squirrels making holes in our basement wall trying to get in. Not very good. Will have to call somebody to seal up the holes.
Yuk! I'm not looking forward to it.
Keeping our fingers crossed for you and not saying a word!

Thom - - Dr. John said...

Call this number now 1-800-Pied-Piper

Hope those little buggers leave you alone.

Ladybird World Mother said...

sssssshhhhhhh. don't even say the words No Rats.
They come back. They always come back. Ggggrrrr. Enjoy the silence while it is... if you see what I mean...

Unknown said...

I always thought that squirrels were cute, until I started hearing about all the problems people have when those pesky creatures get in people's houses!

May Day, huh? I guess I can wait.

Rose said...

I won't mention those...um...creatures either. Let's hope they're not reading your blog.

Squirrels can do a lot of damage, too, or so I've read, but yes, I think I'd rather have squirrels.

At least, you're not hearing voices in your head, Maggie May:)

david mcmahon said...

You callin' me nuts? !!!!

Cath said...

Good for you girl you stick to yer guns! Hope it is quiet up there for you.

That's a great picture of a squirrel, which are not as easy to photograph either.

Thanks for the link in the post. Appreciate it.